Mindy’s Hazelnut Shortbread Cookies
Cooking: 30 min
- ¼ cup organic whole hazelnuts
- ¾ cup organic unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup organic cane sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- 1 ¾ cups organic all-purpose flour
- 1 bar dark (70%+) fair trade organic chocolate
1) Roast the hazelnuts at 350˚F for 10 minutes and allow them to cool.
2) Pulse the nuts in a food processor until finely ground.
3) Meanwhile, mix the butter and sugar on low until combined. Stir in vanilla and almond extract plus 2 teaspoons of water.
4) In another bowl, sift the flour and salt. Add it slowly to the butter mixture.
5) Add the ground hazelnuts and mix until the dough comes together.
6) Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for 25 minutes.
7) Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface about ¼ inch thick. Cut out shapes with cookie cutters of your choice.
8) Place cookies on parchment lined baking sheet and chill 20 minutes.
9) Bake at 350˚F for 20 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through.
Cool to room temperature.
If desired, dip tops of cookies in dark chocolate or drizzle dark chocolate over cookies.