Mindy’s Mushroom Barley Risotto
Cooking: 60 min
- 5 to 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 3 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 4 cups spinach (or other green of your choice)
1) Heat broth and cover to keep warm.
2) In a large pot, cook onion and garlic in heated olive oil for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add mushrooms, ¼ tsp. salt and some freshly ground pepper.
3) Cook for 5 to 7 more minutes, until the mushrooms start to brown. Add wine and bring to a boil for 1 minute.
4) Add 5 cups of hot broth and the barley to the pot. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for about 50 minutes until barley is tender. Check occasionally and add broth if barley becomes dry.
5) Stir in greens and cook uncovered until wilted.
Season with more salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with grated parmesan cheese, if desired.