Mindy’s Roasted Squash Soup
Cooking: 75 min
- 2 heads garlic
- 2 lb. butternut squash seeded, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 large onion quartered
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. dried thyme (optional)
- 2-4 cups low sodium vegetable (or chicken) stock
- 2 cups chopped, peeled Granny Smith apples
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1) Cut top off heads of garlic and wrap in foil. Toss squash and onion with oil, salt and thyme if using.
2) Roast heads of garlic, squash chunks and onion quarters in a single layer on a baking stone or sheet at 350˚F for 45 minutes, until very tender.
3) Add chopped apples to baking stone and roast for an additional 15-20 minutes.
4) Squeeze roasted garlic into a blender or food processor. Add squash, onions and apples. Puree adding the stock as needed. Add enough stock for the desired consistency.
5) Transfer the soup to a saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes adding salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Option: For curried squash soup, add 1 tsp. curry powder to saucepan before simmering.